Sunday, 9 December 2012

Online #infolit reading group anyone?

I have done some research in the area of information literacy, but the further I got into writing my dissertation the more I realised I still hadn't read on the subject and the more I had to consciously put articles that looked extremely interesting but weren't directly relevant to my research questions to one side for later.

Now that I'm no longer tied to a specific research project, I'd like to get back to reading some of those other articles and books that I couldn't give time to before.  Anyone interested in joining me? I'm actually interested in user ed even more broadly, for example including the learning development stuff and technical/IT skills that might or might not fall directly into definitions of information literacy.

The plan would be to hold the discussions on Twitter and through blog posts and comments, keeping things as open as possible.  I've always wanted to join the Second Life information literacy discussions but have had so much hassle trying to get the programme working properly that I haven't yet been able to, but maybe we could also link in with that if the organisers don't have any objections.

I have some initial suggestions for things I'd like to read, but feel free to suggest more in the comments:
  • Badke's Research Strategies (reading at the moment)
  • Christine Bruce's Informed Learning (suggested previously by Susie Andretta)
Things I've already read but probably should be included as well for those who haven't:
  • Revised Seven Pillars of Information Literacy and the lenses that have been developed for it
  • A New Curriculum for Information Literacy
I know there were lots of articles too, I'll go trawl my Zotero library for possibilities...

Update:  Sheila Webber, Helen Blanchett and I are now running a blog-based information literacy journal club, aiming for one discussion each month.  Check out http://infolitjournalclub.blogspot.co.uk/

8 comments:

  1. Hi - as one of the organisers of the Second Life journal club, it would be great to link up! My co-organiser is Marshall Dozier, a librarian at Edinburgh University. We've mainly focused on open access material (so usually articles or conferences papers) to make it easy for people to join in. Perhaps we could get in touch to discuss possibilities?
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila,
      I was hoping you would say that! I agree entirely about using open access materials wherever possible, can you suggest a good place to start? I think our first one should probably be something that introduces the idea of information literacy for those who haven't read much yet in this area. I will be in touch to discuss further!
      Niamh

      Delete
  2. I like this idea. I'm interested in information literacy and instructional design, among other things, so I'd like to participate as time permits. Do you have a plan for aggregating blog and Twitter posts?
    There is a software thing called gRSShopper (http://grsshopper.downes.ca/about.htm) that does this, but I don't know anything about it from the admin side.
    A collaborative Zotero library might be useful too, although whenever I've proposed the idea before I've never had any takers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul,

      Thanks for the gRSShopper recommendation, I'll investigate this later today. I think the Zotero library is an excellent idea, we can use it to list possible articles according to topic. DO you have one already or will I set one up?

      I also like the idea of looking at instructional design - so important but hasn't received as much emphasis in what I've been reading as the content of instruction courses has.
      Niamh

      Delete
    2. Hi Niamh,

      The public Zotero libraries I set up were for mobile learning and creativity. I have a personal library for info lit - if you want to set up a public one I'll copy my collection into it.

      Besides gRSShopper, there are WordPress plugins that can aggregate blog and Twitter posts by hashtag - Feed WordPress and Twitter Tracker. I have some acquaintances who use Feed WordPress, so we'd have some brains to pick if needed.

      Paul

      Delete
    3. Hi Paul,

      Emma Coonan suggested that we use the hashtag #ILread for discussions, so I've used this for the Zotero library as well for consistency: https://www.zotero.org/groups/ilread

      I've just added a couple of things to get started but feel free to add anything you like to it. I'll post again shortly to summarise the feedback I've had on how we could conduct this group.

      Niamh

      Delete
    4. Hi Niamh,
      Good start on the Zotero library. The library seems to be read-only though. There's a switch in the group Library Settings for Library Editing. I think it defaults to "Only group admins," but you can change it to "Any group member."
      Paul

      Delete
    5. Sorry Paul, thought I'd changed that but obviously not. All group members can now edit and I've made you an administrator as well.

      Delete